Sunday, March 10, 2019

"No Respect, No Honor"

Just a couple of random thoughts.

I'm thinking about starting work on a new project; a show (for video, maybe) about mysteries and conspiracies.  In researching this matter, I have been reminded of one Jesse Ventura.

Mr. Ventura has been on his share of adventures; some may know him from the wrestling ring, as "The Body".  After retiring from wrestling, Jesse got involved in politics.  In 1998, Ventura (running as an independent) "shocked the world" by winning election to the office of governor of Minnesota.  That's where his story seems to get a bit weird.

After leaving office, Mr. Ventura resumed his media career, hosting TruTV's "Conspiracy Theory".  The show, which ran for three seasons, investigated certain perplexing mysteries (the network pulled the plug on the show after a series of controversies).  I must admit, I enjoyed this series; it was full of intrigue, and got me asking the question, "what if?".  However, some of the theories proposed were quite strange; the BS factor was a bit high.  This is where I take issue with Ventura.

It seems to me that Jesse Ventura is not a real investigative journalist, as he makes himself out to be.  By this, I mean that he has questionable motives, and does things based on the age-old idea of "what's in it for me".  In my opinion, Ventura is full of himself, arrogant, and disrespectful.  I used to enjoy his wrestling exploits, and hold him in some degree of respect.  However, that respect has long since disappeared.

Jesse Ventura is a man who claims to have been a "Navy SEAL", but is fudging his military record at best, and lying about it at worst (he was a member of the Navy's "Underwater Demolition Team", which carried out SEAL-like missions.  There is some disagreement as to whether members of this team are authorized to call themselves SEALs)(1).  Frankly, I wonder why a SEAL would attack another SEAL both personally and professionally; you can ask Taya Kyle about that one (in 2006, her late husband (former SEAL Chris Kyle) was allegedly involved with Mr. Ventura in a physical incident.  Ventura sued Kyle for defamation, and won his case.  The parties would eventually settle out-of court)(2).  

This is also a man who, when called out on his various theories, runs away from questioning.  Ventura says that people who question him are "lucky" that they don't get beaten up (various sources) Hey tough guy, are you angry that I see through your smoke show? And what are you going to do about it? I've got news for you; if you were ever to try to knock me out, I'd have you arrested for assault.  Then, I'd sue you for everything you have.  And yes, please do run for president in 2020; guess what? NOBODY CARES about your supposed candidacy! You were a decent governor, but that was long ago, before you started getting "high off your own supply".  Sorry Jesse, but you're out of your league on this one.

Anyways, if I sound a bit perturbed, then it's with good reason.  I don't like liars, phonies, or people that think of themselves as "holier than thou".  Jesse Ventura comes off as all of these things to me.  He says he loves his country, but in the same breath, he'll mention that his supposed fellow SEALs "deserve(d) to lose a few guys" (more on that later)(2).  Forget doing the right thing; for Ventura (to borrow a quote from "Mr. McMahon"), "it's all about the money".  Clearly, "The Body" has no brain; at least, that brain has seen better days.


1. “Jesse Ventura.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 4 Mar. 2019, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Ventura#Navy_SEAL_background_controversy..

2. “Jesse Ventura.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 4 Mar. 2019, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Ventura#Chris_Kyle_controversy.

No comments:

Post a Comment