Thursday, December 24, 2020

Thoughts On A Christmas Eve

About a week ago, I was feeling very frustrated; I wanted this year to be over and done with.  Since then, I have found myself to be in a better mood.  Somehow, I have finally gotten into the holiday spirit.  

This notwithstanding, it is unbeknownst to me how I arrived at these good feelings.  Maybe it's the snow on the ground that has brightened my mood.  Perhaps it's the good vibes that my friends have been sending out recently.  Or maybe it's simply that I've had time to think, and contemplate.  

Whatever the reason may be, I am clearly happier now than I was just seven days ago.   

Frankly speaking, why shouldn't I be happy? I have a roof over my head, clothes to wear on my back, and a warm bed to sleep in.  I have good food to eat and drink, and I am in good health.  I have many friends, and a loving family.  And I have been blessed with the greatest parents that I ever could've asked for.  No, I don't have everything; yet I have everything I really need.  

There is a certain 1980s song that says, "I'm heavenly blessed, and worldly wise" (1).  This is how I look at my life.  Indeed, God has richly blessed me, giving me (among other things) wisdom as I have grown older (this may be debatable in certain circles).  

Thus, on this Christmas Eve, I find myself counting my blessings.  I am not the best-looking guy, nor the strongest man or the richest man.  Nevertheless, I am rich in spirit; the spirit of life.  

The days of the year have rolled by, giving way to another Christmas and holiday season.  Whatever holiday you celebrate, be it Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or "Festivus for the rest of us", I have one wish to pass along (2).  It is for you and yours to have a fantastic holiday, wherever you may be.  

May the new year bring you (as well as those you love) much prosperity, happiness, and good health.  

"Merry Christmas (and happy holidays) to all, and to all a good night" (3).  


Sources:

1.  MacDonald, Pat (& "Timbuk3"). "The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades". I.R.S. Records, Hollywood, CA, 1986.  

2.  Berg, Alec, et al. "Seinfeld." The Strike. Dir. Andy Ackerman. NBC. 18 Dec. 1997.

3.  Clarke Moore, Clement. A Visit From St. Nicholas. 1823.

No comments:

Post a Comment