Thursday, April 27, 2023

WCW Night (And A Review, Of Sorts)

When I learned that promoter, legend, and WWE Hall of Famer Eric Bischoff was going to be in town, I naturally jumped at the chance to see him.  

Mr. Bischoff was acting as the guest judge for "WCW Trivia Night", which was held on Wednesday at "The Blind Rhino" bar in Norwalk.  Sam Roberts of Sirius XM and WWE was also in attendance, serving as emcee for the night (1).  

Wrestling trivia, good food, AND an opportunity to see one of the greatest ever? For a long-time fan such as myself, this was a "can't-miss" event!

Arriving at the venue just after six PM (for a seven thirty start time), I found that the bar was already packed to the gills.  For a few moments, I worried about whether or not I would find a seat.  Finally, a spot opened up at the main bar, which I took without hesitation.

Then, I saw the man himself; clad in a black leather jacket, Eric Bischoff was signing autographs in meet and greet.  Seeing him just a few feet in front of me proved quite surreal; I had to pinch myself to make sure I was awake.  


Moments later, who else should make an appearance but Bruce Prichard.  Prichard, a legendary commentator, manager, and all-around wrestling guru in his own right, is tough to miss.  He's a big, jovial-looking guy who some fans might recognize as "Brother Love" (of mid-90s WWE).  I was somewhat surprised to see Mr. Prichard, as he showed up completely unannounced (2).  

At this point, there was still some time before the night's festivities would get underway.  I passed the time by enjoying a burger, and watching the first few minutes of a New York Knicks game.  

Eventually, seven thirty rolled around; it was time for the main event.  


Five rounds of trivia questions were asked; they dealt with "Monday Nitro", tag teams, the "New World Order", and other occasions in the history of World Championship Wrestling (WCW).  Mr. Bischoff, in his guest judge capacity, provided insight and commentary about some of the events that were mentioned.  

For the first two rounds of the game, I was able to make a decent showing on the scoreboard.  Nevertheless, the stumpers of the last round ended any chance I had of winning.  In the end, there was a two-team tie for first place.  This was resolved by means of a dance-off.  I'm not sure who the first dancer was, but he "busted a move", and thus was the big winner.  


Of course, the purpose of the night didn't entirely involve fun and games.  You see, I've been looking to promote my wrestling podcast (entitled "Totally Wrestling") and hoping to schedule interviews with one or more of the distinguished guests (3).  

With this goal in mind, I gave out business cards to Bischoff, Roberts, and Prichard.  Mr. Prichard came off as uninterested, but Bischoff and Roberts both cheerfully accepted my presentation.  Could they, in the near future, be appearing on "Totally Wrestling"? We will see! 


The entire experience on Wednesday night was a very enjoyable one.  I chatted, ate, drank, had dessert, and rubbed elbows with legends, all in just one night.  If there's something more you could want from a social outing, I don't know what it is!



15 N Main Street
Norwalk, CT 06854

203-956-7243 

(4)


Sources:

1. “BTE WCW Trivia Night.” BestTriviaEver.com, www.besttriviaever.com/wcw-triva-night. Accessed 27 Apr. 2023.

2. “Bruce Prichard.” Wikipedia, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Prichard. Accessed 27 Apr. 2023.

3. Boland, Matt. “Totally Wrestling W/ Matt Boland.” BlogTalkRadio, 14 Feb. 2019, www.blogtalkradio.com/the_boland_report/2019/02/14/totally-wrestling-w-matt-boland-2142019. Accessed 27 Apr. 2023.

4. The Blind Rhino. “South Norwalk Menus | the Blind Rhino in Connecticut.” The Blind Rhino - Sports Bar Serving Pub Eats - Connecticut, www.theblindrhino.com/menus-south-norwalk. Accessed 27 Apr. 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment