Saturday, October 7, 2023

What Was That Again?

In the history of presidential elections, multiple candidates have had "oops" moments. 2004 saw the "scream of the century" (audio link) doom Howard Dean's campaign; Hillary Clinton's 2016 "basket of deplorables" comment didn't work out much better (1, 2)

Now, enter stage right Florida governor Ron DeSantis, who recently had this to say about supporters of Donald Trump:

"If all we are is listless vessels (that are) just supposed to follow whatever happens to come down the pike on Truth Social every morning, that's not going to be a durable movement" (3).  

I find this to be an ill-advised remark, and one that I must respond to (4).




According to Merriam-Webster, "listless" means someone or something that is "characterized by lack of interest, energy, or spirit". Thus, Mr. Governor, you imply that Trump backers have no heart. 

As far as this comment applies to me personally, you couldn't be more wrong.  


You see, unlike some others, I have the nerve to stand up for my rights, and what I believe to be right. I've never had any problem telling those in charge what I think (as evidenced by this article). 

And when it comes to political issues, I prefer principles over party positions. 


On another note, I think it should be mentioned that I have worked very hard for Republican candidates in my home state of Connecticut. 

Whether it has been phone banks, writing letters to newspaper editors, or simply the general discussion of state-wide politics, I have "been there and done that" (see note). And even through a long string of losses, I have kept the faith, in what is now a deep blue state.  

Mr. Governor, I'm someone who doesn't back down or easily give up, even when the odds are against him.  I guess you could say I have a "fighting spirit" of sorts, which flies in the face of your derogatory (see definition) comments. No, I'm not a "listless vessel"; far from it. 


Now, I can't claim to be an expert on campaign strategy. Yet in closing this article, and with all due respect, I offer you a tip.

The next time you go out on the trail, perhaps it would be wise to give a bit more thought to what you're saying. This way, you'll be less likely to have "Howard Dean moments".

And we all know how that worked out (5).





Note: Ask State Senator Tony Hwang, or former Lieutenant Governor candidate Laura Devlin, about this one.

Definition - 

Derogatory: Adjective, "disparaging, or expressive of a low opinion" (6).

Sources:

Accessed 7 Oct. 2023.

2. Reilly, Katie. “Read Hillary Clinton’s ‘Basket of Deplorables’ Remarks About Donald Trump Supporters.” Time, 10 Sept. 2016, time.com/4486502/hillary-clinton-basket-of-deplorables-transcript. Accessed 7 Oct. 2023.

3. Huynh, Anjali. “DeSantis Defends ‘Listless Vessels’ Comments That Riled Trump Supporters.” The New York Times, 22 Aug. 2023, www.nytimes.com/2023/08/22/us/politics/desantis-trump-listless-vessels.html. Accessed 7 Oct. 2023.

4. “Stone Cold Steve Austin, WHAT? Promo.” YouTube, uploaded by Mike Funk, 4 Feb. 2010, youtu.be/RiRbzJ2aQ4E?si=Q0wVPAA4OuCPZqst&t=7. Accessed 7 Oct. 2023.

5. “Goofy Yell.” YouTube, uploaded by Capcori, 13 Apr. 2013, www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUL5w91dzbo. Accessed 7 Oct. 2023.

6. “Derogatory.” Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/derogatory. Accessed 7 Oct. 2023.

1 comment: