Friday, November 30, 2018

Random Musings

Just a few thoughts that have been running through my head lately.

If you don't already know, I run a small radio station that I call "Radio Free Connecticut".  My station is a "Part 15" outlet, transmitting on 1540 AM.  What is "Part 15" radio? Simply put, it's extremely low-power, community-focused radio.  Legally, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) says that as long as such stations stay under a certain amount of power, no broadcasting license is needed.  Our signal (which doesn't interfere with any other station) can be heard near the Bridgeport/Stratford city line, and online as well.

It can be difficult to drum up publicity for my station, but I think some good press is coming my way.  Several weeks ago, I was interviewed for a forthcoming feature in the "Fairfield County Business Journal" magazine.  I am told that said feature will, most likely, be part of the Journal's December issue.  That being said, watch for this issue on newsstands, and pick up a copy soon!

Don't look now, but it seems as if ol' Matty has gotten the romantic bug again, LOL.  This time, the woman in question is a friend that lives in the "Sunshine State" of Florida.  She's very attractive, and what I like to call "upwardly mobile"; that is, she's a "mover and shaker" in the business world.  The long distance between our homes notwithstanding, I find myself thinking about this woman often.  Could it be that I've fallen for her? "As news breaks out, we'll break in" (Fox News).

Now on to other pressing matters.  I hope everyone is having a good holiday season; so far, mine's been going great.  Last week, my family had a reunion of sorts at the Gaelic-American Club in Fairfield, CT.  All living generations of the family were represented; I had a fantastic time listening to, and telling, stories.  One particular story that I told (yes, it is factual) dealt with family ancestry.

Some of you may know that I am a big fan of professional wrestling.  A few months back, I was doing some research concerning my family tree, and relatives (I was able to trace my parents back through multiple generations).  In the course of my exploration of this topic, I happened upon a relation (on my father's side of the family) that is linked to a family of McMahons.

So, why is this a notable revelation? If you aren't aware, World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) was founded by a Vincent McMahon Sr.; his son, Vincent Kennedy McMahon, is the Chairman of the company's board (not to mention the creative force behind "Monday Night Raw" and "Wrestlemania").  The latter's son (Shane McMahon) and daughter (Stephanie McMahon) currently oversee most of the group's day-to-day operations.

Realizing this, I have started to wonder whether I could be at least distantly related to the McMahon wrestling dynasty.  According to my Aunt Eileen, my father's side of the family definitely has relatives with that name.  The critical part of this question is which part of the McMahon's that I am linked to.  You see, there are two major groups of McMahons; I believe that the family in question came to America from County Mayo, Ireland.  One group is linked to my family; the other is not.

Obviously, it would be a major coincidence if I was somehow related to the wrestling world's McMahons.  As I have pointed out, any such relationship would likely be a distant one.  However, stranger things have, indeed, happened before.  I intend to, through the Gaelic-American Club, conduct further research into this possibility; I'll let you know what I find out.

"Until next time....if there IS a next time".  :)

PS: Did anyone figure out where the title of my introductory post originated? If you guessed the TV show "You Can't Do That On Television" (which aired in Canada, and on Nickelodeon in the 1980s), you're right, and receive +10 cool points!

No comments:

Post a Comment