Tuesday, February 26, 2019

An Open Letter To the CIAC (Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference)

(Author's note: This letter is addressed to Mr. Glenn Lungarini, CIAC Executive Director)

Mr. Lungarini,

As you no doubt are aware, the conference has been permitting transgender student-athletes to enter competitions based on "gender identity"; that is, according to the gender that they choose.  In the most recent example, Bloomfield's Terry Miller chose to compete in the state track championships as a female. 

Now, I have no quarrel with Miller's choice of identity.  Nevertheless, I feel that Miller and others are gaining an unfair advantage over their fellow student-athletes.  Let's be clear about one thing; Miller is a biological male, competing on a girls track team.  Title IX concerns notwithstanding, I strongly believe that this amounts to cheating.  Your organization seems to be sanctioning and allowing such actions. 

If rules surrounding high school sports in this state are to be ignored, then tell me; would it be acceptable for me to try out for the Fairfield Warde football team next season? I never got to play football in high school, and "that's not fair"! Being a longtime school official, you should realize that these actions "game the system", and are unquestionably wrong.  What is to stop a prospective student-athlete from competing on a girls' team for one season, but a boys' team the very next? Does that promote competition, or integrity in interscholastic sports? I would think not.

Mr. Lungarini, if it wasn't clear already, I will state that I am shocked and outraged by this turn of events.  I enjoy high school sports, and have traditionally been very involved in them (as a booster of Fairfield Warde athletics).  Specifically, I take a lot of pride, and joy, in watching student-athletes from Fairfield take the field or hardwood.  It is safe to say that local high school sports is one of my life's passions. 

Nonetheless, I find myself in a personal debate over whether to continue to attend CIAC events.  I cannot and do not agree with the organization's recent public statements on this matter; you are making a laughingstock out of high school sports in this state.  I will not stand by and watch as everything that once was right about this state goes down the drain.  That includes matters regarding high school sports.  As such, I am seriously considering a boycott of any and all upcoming athletic events (which I will urge friends of mine to take part in). 

I strongly urge you (as well as other members of the CIAC Board of Directors) to denounce current transgender rules, and begin to draft new regulations regarding this issue. 

If you desire to, you may reply to this letter at FairBol@gmail.com.  I would welcome a healthy and civil debate on this matter. 

Regards,

Mr. Matt Boland

No comments:

Post a Comment