Thursday, September 5, 2019

Update From The Genealogy Files

Frequent readers of this blog will note that I have been doing research into family origins.  Specifically, I have been investigating a possible link to the McMahon family of professional wrestling.  

From a previous post, here's what I've come up with so far.  

"As the result of my searches on Ancestry.com, I have found that my grandfather on my father's side (George Boland Sr., 1903-1962) was married to a Margaret M Curtin (1904-1979).  This woman was the great-granddaughter of a Mary McMahon, from County Clare, Ireland.  Through additional research, I have discovered that the McMahon wrestling family has its roots in the same area of Ireland that Mary was from.  This points to at least a reasonable possibility of a link between my family and the McMahons of WWE

OK, this is where the plot thickens a bit, as there is one more mystery yet to be unraveled.  Vincent Kennedy McMahon is the great-grandson of a Roderick James McMahon (1848-1922).  It is this man who immigrated from Ireland, thus starting the American side of the McMahon family.  My Ancestry.com research hits a (pay) wall in the generations before Mary McMahon; I do not know who her parents were, and if she had any siblings.  This unknown has proven to be the final part of the puzzle. 

You see, if Mary was (a) sister to Roderick James, then the evidence shows that I am indeed related to the wrestling McMahons.  At the moment, I have no idea whether this is the case.  However, if true, this would be an astounding coincidence (as I am a huge fan of WWE).  To quote Joey Styles, my reaction would be something like 'oh my God"


The latest report is this...although I don't yet know the answer to my question, I'm making progress on finding what that answer is.  

Earlier, I posted a general inquiry to the genealogy forums on Ancestry.com, asking for information on Roderick James McMahon.  Hopefully, I will soon get get some news on this, and be able to conclusively say "yea or nay" on the issue.  

As always, I'll keep you informed regarding any new developments...

..."when news breaks out, we'll break in" !

No comments:

Post a Comment