Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Travelogue: Lake George, Part 1

From southern Connecticut, there are two main routes up to the Adirondacks region.  One is to take the Taconic State Parkway starting in White Plains, and follow it to the Interstate 87 Northway.  The other method is to use Connecticut's Route 8, eventually merging onto the interstate around Albany.  

Earlier today, my brother and I took the latter route to the Lake George NY area, passing through various towns in northwestern Connecticut and western Massachusetts as we did.  I must tell you that the journey north was smooth, and quite uneventful for the majority of the drive.  There is something about traversing secondary roads that gives you a quaint, down-home feeling.  


Presently, our car approached the Albany area, which forced us to get off the back roads and onto interstate highways.  We came upon towns with names such as Watervilet, Cohoes, Malta, and Gansevoort.  A little further up the road, a sign notified us that the Village of Lake George was just three miles away.  

Then, I saw it; a sight that I had been waiting twenty years to see, ever since my last trip to the region.  This, of course, was the beautiful body of water known as Lake George; the "Queen of American Lakes".  


Seldom have I felt as fulfilled as I did at the moment that I entered Lake George Village.  The community has a special meaning with me, for it is a place where I spent many summers with my late father.  It is like a flashback to childhood, and to simpler times far from the worries of the world.  

I feel as if the Adirondacks are welcoming me back to a place I have always loved, and where my soul feels the most free.  


Thank you for that, Lake George.  It's been too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment